Human Resources Specialist
Reports to Executive Director
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Human Resources Specialist provides administrative support, focusing on the development and delivery of HR programs, employee support and satisfaction, and contributing to the achievement of NSTQ goals and objectives.
The Human Resources Specialist is able to communicate clearly, provide support across the organization by providing excellent customer service and answering a variety of employee inquiries related to Human Resources.
The Human Resources Specialist carries out responsibilities in some or all of the functional areas: recruitment and retention, orientation, training and development, performance management, succession management, employee relations, employee communication, and compensation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the NSTC policies, standards and procedures, and as directed by the Executive Director
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the NSTQ
Human Resources Administration:
- Works with Executive Director and the NStQ Band Administrators to develop organizational programs and policies
- Keeps employees current with general e-mails regarding new information and updates
- Keeps policies, programs, HR practices current with government regulations to protect the interests of the NStQ
- Writes and revises job descriptions, schedules classification sessions to ensure the proper pay grade
- Obtains compensation and salary data annually to review status against competition
- Provides articles for the newsletter, highlighting employee accomplishments and providing staff with important information
- Maintains and develops career fair material to assist with recruitment activities
- Coordinates the performance management process, ensuring Managers complete the process
- Leads and promotes employee recognition program(s)
- Assists Program Managers with employee relations issues, writes letters and other documentation and provides support for delivery and obtains external advice as necessary
- Keeps the Executive Director informed of sensitive and important issues and events
- Prepares and submits regular activity reports and statistics to appropriate agencies and the community
- Ensures there is a system of checks and balances for the maintenance of accurate and confidential files and records; complies with reporting requirements
- Develops a communication strategy for public awareness of programs and events
- Participates in various community, council and committee meetings
Recruitment and Orientation:
- Manages the recruitment process for NStQ to ensure timely and quality candidate hiring including creating job advertisements, collecting resumes, screening and providing material to the appropriate manager for review.
- Schedules interviews, creates interview guides and scoring sheets and ensures the panel is educated on the process.
- Performs reference checks and verifies education, training and other qualifications
- Reviews the Orientation process with new hires providing guidance and direction.
- Manages all of the employee files making sure all information is current and maintained in a confidential manner, including annual file audits.
- Assists in ensuring employees properly complete the Criminal Record Check process, takes copies of appropriate identification, verifies education, Driver’s Abstract and licence details.
Training and Development:
- Provides recommendations for training and development of staff each year
- Coordinates training program for a variety of work groups to ensure that NStQ is consistently building the capacity of all employees
- Ensures new and young workers receive proper field orientation and site orientation for due diligence
- Prepares training reports
The duties listed are provided as examples of area of responsibility and are not intended to create limits to responsibility but to help understand the scope of the position. All staff are expected to be team oriented and maintain confidentiality of all information gained while working with the organization.
- Degree in Human Resources Management or related field
- CPHR or working toward CHRP an asset
- Knowledge of legislation on Labour Code, Occupational Health and Safety, Privacy, Human Rights and Employment Law
- Knowledge and experience in human resources, disability management, training and development, employee engagement, performance management and other topics
The Human Resources Specialist should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Conflict Resolution – Brings conflict into the open at the earliest opportunity to arrive at constructive solutions while maintaining positive relationships
- Relationship Building – Develops strong, cooperative relationships with internal and external partners, customers, clients and colleagues to build long term relationships that foster collaboration and partnership
- Leadership & Teambuilding – Sets an example and a direction for others by acting as a role model and inspiring a positive attitude toward work, motivating others toward vision and goal achievement. Coaches for employee development and provides purposeful feedback for improved performance
- Strategic Performance – Contributes to the organization’s strategic performance by linking long-range vision and mission to the daily work, developing individual and/or group goals, aligning goals with organization objectives and building commitment of staff to this direction
- Innovation – Makes an effort to improve performance or operational activities by trying new things, finding new ways of doing things and looking for improvement
- Analytical Thinking – Observes identifies and organizes information to detect underlying issues. Recognizes patterns to interpret implications, ascertain solutions and make recommendations
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and build effective interpersonal relationships.
- Strong team orientation, maturity, professionalism and customer service attitude.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize work assignments to balance multiple demands or consult with Supervisor for guidance.
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs for word processing, databases, spreadsheets, email and the internet to the intermediate level (capable of using a large number of functions and feel confident using the program).
- Ability to use resources, be innovative and use initiative to solve problems.
- Ability to plan and develop training programs and personal development plans
- Demonstrated ability to share knowledge with others
- Strong generalist knowledge, knowledge of federal and provincial legislation and understanding the impact of HR practices in the workplace.
- 2 to 5 years of human resources work experience with proven generalist proficiency in Human Resources Experience undertaking employee relations activities
- Office environment
- Most services are provided immediately requiring the employee to be aware of sensitivity, confidentiality and urgency of requests while balancing other work commitments.
- Receives moderate supervision with less frequent direction and review of the work performed.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Criminal Records Check
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid BC Driver’s Licence
- Must provide a vehicle in good operating condition and appropriate vehicle insurance to meet program requirements
- Operates as part of a team and is flexible about the boundaries and functions of the job
- Maintains open and professional communications with co-workers, leadership and all others who do business with the NStQ
- Ensures that all internal and external deadlines are met
- Travels as required in the performance of their job
- Serves on committees as directed by the Executive Director
- Takes responsibility for identifying upgrading of personal skills necessary to perform job duties
- Successfully completes all training courses undertaken as directed by the Executive Director
- Recognizes and respects all cultural diversity and has an understanding of Aboriginal culture
- Salary Grid Level:
- Security Level: